Yet again, I am surrounded by heaps and heaps of stuff. Didn’t I just clean this room? And I’m not talking like I cleaned it at the beginning of the week. I mean, didn’t I clean it this morning? How in the world is everything spilling out around me again? All I can say is that once upon a time, I was organized. And then I entered junior high, and I’m pretty sure I haven’t felt all together organized since.
This feeling of not ever being quite all the way organized is something I want to overcome this year. My Pete was incredibly organized when I met him. Well, that may be an understatement. The first time I was hanging out at his house before we were dating was for a big Friday night dinner he used to have with a group of about 30 random people every other week. (It’s true. He would start talking to the guy who sold him his phone and invite him over for dinner along with the guy he met at the gym and a few other people from church and others from work. I met some cool people at those dinners.) Anyway, he asked me to grab something out of his linen closet, and when I did, I was shocked. Was this not supposed to be a single guy’s bachelor pad? Apparently I was mistaken because on each shelf, he had bottles of cleaning solution lined up so each label was clearly visible, pencils perfectly resting side-by-side, and tubes of Chapstick organized by height. He eventually threw in the towel on converting me to sublime organization. Over time we accumulated more stuff and had a couple kids and now I’m pretty sure he believes it’s an absolutely hopeless concept. But it’s not!
I am beyond tired of spending 30 minutes looking for something that I’m pretty sure I saw somewhere yesterday. I don’t want to continue to cover my dining room table with piles of incoming mail because I don’t have a system of what to do with it after it gets opened. And I am over feeling anxious when peeking into a closet or a room because of its chaotic state. I know there is help to be found, and I want it now.
In search of some organization inspiration over the weekend, I went right to the expert ideas on Pinterest, as I usually do. I’ve been gathering ideas for a few months and pinning them in my Organize & Simplify board, but I took it further and went from site to site to actually learn how to do some of the tips. I was specifically looking for ideas that might actually be do-able. (I know I’m not the only one who sees most of the stuff on Pinterest and thinks, “There’s no way I have time or money for that!”) I found some really great ideas! So, here are a few of the tips and tricks I’ve found that I’ve either already tried with success or that I think are realistic in my house. Maybe they will work in yours, too!
1. Command Center: I created a command center in the corner of our kitchen last spring. It’s been tremendously helpful for quickly filing important papers that will later be transferred to our large filing cabinet. It’s also a place I can put mail as it comes in instead of leaving it on the table.
from Lovely Crafty Home
2. Kids’ Toys: This is another tip I’ve tried, though I’d like to organize even more of the crafts and toys like this.
3. Pantry: I recently went through my pantry with a few red, wire baskets I found in the dollar section at Target. It just feels good to open it up and know exactly where everything is and actually be able to see it all.
4. Shoe organizer: I love these clear shoe organizers for sorting in a small space. I have two hanging on doors in our basement. One is filled with my office stuff and the other is filled with Ella’s crafty stuff. I’ve used them for a couple years. Super helpful!
5. Linen closet: Clear bins and baskets have transformed our linen closet. I don’t have ours labeled, but perhaps that day will come.
from Ask Anna
6. Car trash: I am awful when it comes to keeping my car clean. I can blame it on the kids, but it’s way more my fault than theirs. A few months ago I tried this little trick and have managed to keep the garbage on the floor to a minimum! I empty it at the gas station when I’m filling up. It’s a cereal container and I use a plastic produce bag inside.
from Organization Junkie
There are times I get super motivated to clean & organize, but sometimes, by the time I get the kids in bed, the feeling has left. Because of that, I’m determined to work on getting organized a little bit every week either during naps or while Ella’s at school. I do LOVE being organized, but sometimes it’s a challenge!
Do you feel organized? What’s your favorite organizational tip? Leave a comment below! Your ideas might really help this house of mine!
Also linked at A Group Look